Friday 6 July 2012

The first finished, well almost.


Here are a few pictures of the sculpture that I have been working on as in the previous post. The base is not necessarily the final option as I am not sure where to go with this part at the moment. For the time being it will sit on the current base until I make a final decision.

The process went rather more smoothly than anticipated. It was my intention from the start to use the lathe as a part process for the making of sculptures that are not in the round. I am pleased with the result on a whole but have a few parts I want to build upon and develop.

It was turned through six axis using various work holding methods, cut, carved, finished, coloured with auto motive spray with the addition of a blck pebble found at the beech. The base is simply an un-finished piece of oak sprayed again with automotive spray.

It measure 8 inches in length x 4 inches wide future ones will become larger and will be made from finished oak and other woods as well as other materials.


6 comments:

George Foweraker said...

Hi Mark.
I really like this it reminds me of sand dunes.Well done

Mark said...

Hi george

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Many look but never do.

Lee Robert Sneddon said...

Hi Mark,

Great to see you continually developing in new and interesting directions.

I haven't been at the the lathe at all this year but hopefully when I do I can grasp a small fraction of your skill and creativity.

Nice to see you growing and expanding your interests.

Take care,

Lee.

Mark said...

Hi Lee

Thank you for the interest. I try hard to keep moving forward by experimenting. Sometimes it works out some times not.

You aught to get back to the lathe even if it is just to relax without worrying about what you are making.

All the best

George Foweraker said...

I have now seen this piece in the flesh and can honestly say it is beutiful.Well done Mark.

Mark said...

Thanks George

I am please with it, it will be a while before I get time to finish another.