Wednesday 29 August 2012

Quality time


My eldest daughter today was away at a friends and I had told my youngest, Bella, that I would set up my mini lathe so that she can have it for herself ( except when I need it to demo). Bella was over the moon as she loves turning and is taking to it very well.

It has been some time since we both had time in the workshop together, I guess other things have gotten in the way.

Today however we went into the work shop at 1200 hrs and came out at 1700hrs, with a bite to eat for lunch of course.

Bella wanted to concentrate on turning between centres in the main and spent most of her time happily turning beads, coves, using the roughing and spindle gouges to just make shapes.

Nothing too serious as for me it is about building confidence and safe working practises over making bowls etc which she has done in the past with 95% of her time today going solo, enabling me to get on with my own work as I kept a watchful eye and open ear on Bella.

Here are some pictures of one of the best days I have had in some time.




5 comments:

George Foweraker said...

Well done Bella .It is always nice to see young people taking an interest in craft instead of sitting in front of a computer or telly all day.
Keep practising as the more you do the better you will get.
Well done Mark it is good to see you encouraging the girls to take up woodturning.

Lee Robert Sneddon said...

Now you've got someone to supervise you!!! LOL!

Well done on both counts, it's the things during these precious moments that you don't see now that are really important.

Any more details on the Australia event?

Take it easy,

Lee.

john smith said...

Well done Bella it is great to see you are following in your Dads footsteps keep it up you will soon be able to show him a thing or two.
Great Mark I did a couple of things with my Granddaughters a few years ago Regards John

Unknown said...

Well done Bella.

Mark said...

thank you for your nice comments
bella.