Saturday 29 January 2011

Oak Sculpture


The idea of this piece was to show that imperfect green oak in this case a fresh cut post can be turn using the minimal amount of tools to produce an item that is more sculptural and interesting than the usual bowls and hollow forms that I normally turn.

Very few tools are used with the sculptures being a simple project to make. The scorching was used to highlight the off the tool/band saw marks which are not overly evident in the picture but add an interesting texture beneath the scorching.

This is the first of many such sculptures that can be designed from sizes of 300mm to 2.5 meters tall. They are made primarily to add sculptural interest to a garden with the oak adding to this with its cracked surface that will age over time.

If any one is interested in having a go at one of these or adapting the project to your own design then the project can be viewed within the latest woodturning magazine out now for purchase.

I enjoy now turning without finishing with abrasive and texturing the surface of the item with a hammer or other equally technical tools as I realised that you do not have to buy expensive texturing tools to produce interesting textures. Added to this stains, scorching or other media can be used to add accents to the piece.

5 comments:

George Foweraker said...

I like the Oak sculpture Mark.
I will get you to show me how to make it.

Regards George

Lee Robert Sneddon said...

Hi Mark,

Excellent work and a wonderful interpretation of sculpture.

The article in Woodturning is very extensive and anyone wishes to follow this technique has all they need.

The rest is down to them and their own creativity.

Most excellent,

Lee.

Mark said...

Hi George

Thank you for your comment. The sculpture is actually very very simple to make and only needs a few tools. Once you get the mag you will see how easy it is.


Lee

thank you

I hope my writing that I can show people the different ways that the lathe can be used. While with this piece I could have gone much further with the design, often I believe it is understanding the principles of the construction/basic design which is the most important aspect. As once foundation is in place then the rest as you say is down to ones own interpretation and design ideas.

Nick Arnull said...

Great work,Ilke the aricle and it still follows the Wabi-Sabi theme!

Mark said...

Hi Nick

Thank you for your comments. Coming from you it means a lot.

I have started to get into this sort of work more and more. I seem to like the organic way of working and letting nature just take its path.

I have to say it is quite liberating, but no you don;t have to worry I am not going to become a naturist. :-)

Thank you again