Thursday 13 October 2011

Finished

Finally here is the finished piece. Well I say finished as being the first there are things that I may or may not change. It will have to sit on the side board for a week or two so that I can muse over it's various parts.

The form is around 10 inches wide x 8 inches high. The base rocks and the idea is that the piece balances on its own. The main form is fixed to the base and the curved accent sits down into the teeth on either side. I am not sure that I am overly happy with this part and alter or adapt the idea. The original material that I wanted to incorporat for the accent came with various problems, most of which I was able to get around but not fully. So more work with this is needed.

The main form is hollow just like any other hollow form. The carving and texturing was included to add movement to the piece and took by far the most time with around 3500 individually textured lines being added by hand.

This is a new series that I am developing and as such this being the first was a real test in relation to the techniques involved with many of them being made up as I went along. A great deal has been learnt and this will hopefully hold me in good stead for the next one.

In all I calculate 15-18 hours has been spent on the piece. This amount of time was mainly down to it being the first and my feeling the way through it.

The next one is already designed but will have to wait a while as I have other projects to get started and finished.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A very appealing piece Mark, I will look forward to seeing where you go with this series.

Lee Robert Sneddon said...

Hi Mark,

Having followed this piece on your blog and witnessed the very positive reaction from the forums I have come to understand one thing - I have a lot of work to do!

It's great to see you facing challenges and design concerns after a long time in the craft, makes me feel that there is still a world of possibilities waiting to be explored.

I would also strongly advise you to keep any methods of production close to your chest. It's taken a long time for you to overcome the various challenges in this piece and you have the right to protect them.

Personally I wouldn't be sharing any of your methods with anyone, they've all got the same size of brain as you so it's not your concern if they lack the knowledge, skill or creative approach to achieve such work on their own.

So happy for you and looking forward to witnessing the series developing.

Take care,

Lee.

Mark said...

Johnny and Lee

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment.

The next thing for me to do not is to refine the techniques and seperate partes within this piece by studying them and seeing how I can alter,add and/or subtract from the parts.

Take care