Friday 2 December 2011

Videos




Currently I am producing short video clips covering the various tooling used during my turning courses.  Presently I give out detailed course notes but I feel that these lack the visual content needed to trigger and help my students to the full.

The videos will cover all of the key points being raised, these will then be given to the student at the end of the course on either a DVD or via private YouTube access.

This way I can offer the best method of tuition and support after the course. If there are then any queries which are not rectified through the notes or DVD then I am available for contact via the phone to help.   It is important to me that students get what they require from one of my courses and hopefully this will go to fulfil this.

The video at the top of this page is of me roughing out a 9 inch dia cherry bowl, mainly to see the clarity and get use to the high definition function of my new camera, the bowl was turned with only 1 tool, this being a 1/2 inch bowl gouge.

4 comments:

Lee Robert Sneddon said...

Hi Mark,

I feel that these videos are and will be a great resource. Especially for all of your students.

It is very kind of you to consider their learning even when you don't have to.

Looking forward to how you will develop them into a series of supportive and educational videos.

Take care,

Lee.

Mark said...

Hi Lee

Thank you for your interest and for taking the time to comment.

The idea of instructional videos is obviously not a new one especially now with YouTube and the like, and with all the video editing software available now the process becomes much easier.

I believe when people pay for tuition that they should get a professional structured course with adequate support to reinforce what has been covered, this is a basic requirement of any professionally run course, certainly all of those I have attended come with appropriate support notes etc.

With a practical subject the best method second to direct tuition is video.

One of the main things people say to me is that they forget parts of what has been taught when stood at their own lathe, which is to be expected and we both know the brain can only take in so much information.

So eventually I will have a library of course notes/projects covered and dvd clips to support them.

You will be one of my guinea pigs :-)

Angela said...

Have been looking for some high quality videos to share on Turner's Cabin's Facebook page. There are a lot of American ones on YouTube where the woodturning is excellent but the video is very cheesy! These will do nicely thank you.

Angela

Mark said...

HI Angela

Thank you for the interest. I hope they will spread the word for the craft. Feel free to use these unedited for Turners Cabin, some in the future though will have restrictions on them but these will be evident at the time of posting.

Take care

Mark