Saturday 3 August 2013

2nd sculpture


This is the second of the sculpture that I have been working on. It is partly finished and is shown here on a waste slab of sycamore that I use to drive a nail into so the form can be fixed for spraying.

Working on these new pieces is an enjoyable process and at the moment I can not see myself returning to pure work as I am enjoying myself here too much, but then I define the word 'fickle', but I may change my mind tomorrow. !!

Designing more sculptures has been on going and I have many to work with in the future. However before I start too many I am going to look at developing these into much larger forms. The previous sculpture I am able to turn on my lathe up to 1m long, however this latest one is about as large as I can produce on the lathe due to the size of blank needed, unless I go out board. Turning this form to produce the external profile is the fastest method but if I go to a much larger section of wood the process starts to become dangerous so I will probably revert to cutting this one out on the bandsaw. Yes it could be one on the lathe but with large pieces of wood you only have to have one accident and it can be the end.  It is not for me about producing solely on the lathe but the producing of a final piece. At times the lathe can help others it can restrict so seeing it a nothing other than a tool.

Future sculptures being designed are more involved and will be produce using many turned joined sections. But when that will be I am not sure as these first two are a good eight months late.

3 comments:

Rosemary Wright said...

Hi Mark, I haven't checked in for a while. This looks beautiful, will you post the finished image? How big is it?

Mark said...

Thank you very much. Sorry I have not been well enough to post the finished items, (which I will do soon)as it takes all my energy to do anything other than sit still.

I started with a standard cold/cough a week before the AWGB seminar, which got worse and worse, 2 x antibiotics, then a whooping cough developed which I still have now, with no sign of clearing up.

Frankly it is bloody hell as I can't sleep, can't drive, have problems breathing through excessive coughing, ambulance and A&E due to passing out through choking, but there is nothing that can be done apart from weather the storm. Which does not help being self employed.

So in short I am pxxxxx off with it. :-) But I am luckier than many as it is not anything more serious.

I hope you are well and still making.

Rosemary Wright said...

Sorry you're feeling so rough, hope you're improving now - I've emailed you.