Friday 20 July 2012



As previously mentioned I am supposed to be clearing out my work shop of bread and butter items but I am afraid my undisciplined mind won the day so I made this.

It is similar to one I did some time ago which I (like most of my one off pieces), I have not developed.

This one is around 8 inches high x 5 inches wide inclusive of all parts.

The base is slate which I stained black and set fire to so to reduce the new look of the stain.

The main form is oak hollowed to about 1/4inch with a bit more in the base to add stability due to the small foot. I then scorched the life out of it until it cracks, then I scorched it some more.

The top handle  (although it is not a handle, it just rests in the location slots) is black bamboo. The idea is that slowly the leaves wilt and fall off representing impermenance and other related interests.

3 comments:

Rosemary Wright said...

I love the simple form of this piece and the extensive scorching that has produced the cracks.

Mark said...

Hi Rosemary

Thank you, I enjoyed making it as it is always fun getting the blow torch out.

Take care

George Foweraker said...

Hi Mark this is a stunning piece and looks really good in my display cabinet.
Thank you.